In the January Webinar
We covered Calcium and it’s role as an essential macro-nutrient.
It turns out Calcium is such a big topic, it’s really hard to do it justice in an hour, but some of the topics we covered included:
- Calcium in and its role in the actin-myosin cross-bridges that leads to muscle contraction.
- We also covered temporal and spatial summation of motor unit activity to regulate smooth skeletal muscle function.
- Calcium’s role in bone formation, linking to recent research associating osteocalcin with blood glucose control.
- I presented papers covering calcium’s role in cell-mediated immunity, particularly in its ability to promote T lymphocyte function, important in infection control.
- Parathyroid hormone and how it regulates blood calcium
- Osteoporosis in paraplegia and weightlessness
- Conventional wisdom for calcium and calcium supplementation
- Food sources of calcium and the best supplements to use including the research that supports using plant-based calcium.
The full webinar is available here